Jun 13, 2008

Hoodoos

The Plains. Imagine crossing this in a wagon? Now, the word 'plains' can mean many different places...my understanding is that in Colorado it's the 'High Plains' being around 3500 to 6500 feet elevation.
Imagine coming upon this?
This is the Painted Mines near Calhan, CO. About 30 miles east of our house. Another gorgeous El Paso County Park in the county we live!
I took about 65 pictures...it was hard to narrow down. More to come with flora and fauna.
Other places with HOODOOS!

6 comments:

Brahdelt said...

Beautiful textures, I wish I could reflect them in my paintings. I received your parcel, thank you very much for all the goodies! *^v^*

Lilli said...

What an amazing place :) The earth has so much wondrous variety

Stephanie said...

Love these landscapes! I'm originally from southern Colorado...a high plains girl...

Regina said...

Love the very green landscape of Iowa, but I'm so intrigued by badlands, and high deserts. I didn't know that this is what a hoodoo is. Thanks for sharing.

zippiknits said...

Mysterious looking places, those. We live on Mesas out here but you can hardly tell they exist. They are the talus slopes of very old 30ft high mountains, raised and then weathered again. Our few little mountains are the roots, and the only bed rock around this place, other than the small mountain ranges to the east.

Thanks for the beauty! :)

zippiknits said...

Make that 30 THOUSAND foot mountains. hehe..

This is just not my day.