Jan 31, 2008

Moments...

Have you ever been part of something or been somewhere when you see moments that occured that you were probably the only person to see it? You felt lucky that in that exact moment in time you were there.

A moment when a kindergartner stepped off the bus after a very long day in his life- from the time I picked him up at 7:56am and I dropped him off at 3:34pm-his dad came running down the sidewalk worrying that he was late. His little boy stepped from my last step and began running to him. It was like in a movie, it even slowed down---his Dad's face gleaming when his little boy jumped into his arms. I felt privledged to see the looks on their faces.

A moment when a 5th grader at my last stop was the last one off the bus and he came down the aisle telling me his morning wasn't good. I, of course, asked why. He explained that he was climbing on his bunk bed and fell off. Right off!..but then he added, "...the day got better!" "Your probably going to be sore tomorrow," I told him. "Yea, I already am," he smirked. A moment in time that little boy shared with me. He and his two brothers only ride in the p.m., so it was neat that he felt comfortable enough with me to share.

Finally, a moment in time with Middle School age group are far and in between. That age doesn't lend itself to sharing. They are more about coming up with ideas, experiencing, & interactions with peers. So, when a few fellows are 'sharing' with me how we should dress-up our bus. I enjoy the interaction. I'm sure they are suprised I offered the idea we should put 'spinners' on our wheels.....perhaps hydrolics! One child opens up about how his Aunt spun out on a slick road- she had those 'low-profile' tires...A middle school's way of sharing. I feel sorry for the busdrivers that are too busy with the referrals or 'silent bus' methods. What they miss-- In turn I have groups of kids from each of my three schools talking! Talking to me-I'm talking to them. The ones that are quiet and don't talk- are listening I'm sure.

I feel privledged to experience these moments of time...after all, they are fleeting moments. I only have an average of 30 minutes with them (some less if they are the first bus stop from school) It's a unique time. I feel fortunate to have these encounters.

Just in case your wondering...I've only written a total of two referrals to parents for the school year so far. I'm certainly not resistant to writing them when needed, but it's not my main method...or I just don't need to- I just like keepin' it real. Any bus driver knows the song, "I know a song that gets on your nerves..." Well, yesterday at a bus-stop before last, my kids started singing that as I'm stopping. A mom was at the busstop. When I opened the door she was looking at me...in a joking manner I asked her if she would like ALL of them? She laughed and exclaimed, "OH, NO!"

Just my moments.....

7 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I love this posting! Yes those moments are treasures! They reminds us of how good life can be!

Enjoyed visiting and will be back!

bookwoman said...

Sounds like some lovely days.

Cathy said...

Great stuff. I wish my son had had a bus driver like you!

jennhx said...

Your moments sound so great. Connections. I wish I had had you for a bus driver!!

Lilli said...

This is so Beautiful, Paula. You have such a great attitude, and I think you're doing it all perfectly. Enjoying each moment, recognizing how precious your time is with so many growing souls. What a wonderful opportunity for them to relate to another adult who cares for them, who accepts them unconditionally. As you say, you will have moments with them that not even their parents will have.

Did you see on Oprah where a bus driver recognized how important she could be to the kids in her care, and she took them on special trips out of town to open up their worlds. I'm not saying you should do that, but every day you have the chance to really SEE someone, make them feel noticed, feel special even, feel important, feel loved.

You have been entrusted with a truly blessed place in this world, and even more than that.....you KNOW what a blessing it is and you're ready to enjoy it :)

MarĂ­a Elena said...

Great post!!!

DM said...

Your school district is so lucky to have you. Most parents don't consider how much of the child's school experience happens on the bus. Kids need a positive, safe, and supportive environment on the bus as much as they do in the classroom. I can really see that you care.
Donna