Jan 20, 2008

I Went to a Party!

Over at Norah'S was a wonderful paper doll party..scroll down through her blog and see the thoughts behind this...I wish I could be in her head for a day! Her painting is amazing! Anyways, I always wanted to make a paper doll, so I decided to go! I baked a cake for the occasion!
Remember those paper dolls you played with as a child? Well, I recall only having one book of them...after punching out the doll and clothes with little tabs I was very frustrated that the clothes wouldn't stay on...OK, my perfectionism started there!
She was SO fun to make! I used acrylic paint on watercolor paper, jeweled & plain brads, and a little varnish for eyes & lips for lip gloss.
Meet the coolest bus driver ever! Of course, after my creative juices were flowing, I looked at these pictures and noticed that I have my hat & gloves, but not my coat! This really is what I look like these cold days...I always have my Target hat (mine is not shown on link, but if your not familiar with Target -great site), my knitted scarf, brown gloves, and Teva shoes (not exactly that one, but almost)....and of course, a coat! ...and no my pants are not that short ;} but I wanted you to see my socks! Also, if you click on the last picture you can see on top of my pants are the words 'perception, cognition, and behavior'...what a hoot...driving a school bus is a major study of all three words- all dependant on each other!
SO, there you have my very first paper doll! I had great fun and really stepped out of my boundaries on this one... I feel another one in the makin' sometime soon! Thanks Sharon!

12 comments:

Brahdelt said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. ^^
Your dolls looks like she could start a tap dance any minute now! *^v^* Great job and what a yummy cake!

Sharon said...

Yes,she is absolutely the coolest bus driver ever! I am sitting here just tickeled to death that you came to the paper doll party. It was so fun and I really do love your self portrait. That's really cool that you thought to do you! Don't you love how she has attitude. Not only is she a bus driver, I bet she could manage the cross walks near the school. I can just hear her, "halt, children are crossing". Love what you did to her eyes and mouth.
Also, it was so great for you to bring the cake.

tangled stitch said...

She is a lovely doll and I always had a problem with not being able to keep the clothes on too! Perhaps you have inspired me to try making one myself. It looks like a lot of fun. Thanks!

Deb G said...

Lots of fun!

laurel said...

Cute! I especially like the Teva shoes.

Charlie said...

Way too cute. I loved playing paper dolls as a kid. I think I will have to make one too. Some where in the back of my mind I thought of using paper dolls in a scrapbook page but I never have.

Paulette Insall said...

Coming over from IMT....she is soooooo cute!!!! Love her!! All these paper dolls I'm seeing lately are making me wanna play too!!! :)

Rebekah said...

My mother would never let me have barbie dolls, so I had paper dolls. I loved playing with them. They left more to the imagination.

Vik said...

Pretty doll!!!
I had 3 paper dolls - I even remember their names: Amy, Cindy and Sue. During a Spring cleaning my aunt gave them away to charity without consulting me... I was so sad... I would have kept them... :(

Jeanne said...

Hi PJ!
Love your paper doll project! Oh how I loved playing with paper dolls as a child. I used to wait impatiently for my mother's McCall's magazine to arrive so I could cut out and play with Betsy McCall.
P.S. your new banner looks great!
Jeanne

cookiesunshine said...

KUDOS!

carla said...

That's way cool! I love her attitude with her hands on her hips... I can tell you had such a great time creating her:> The cake looks yummy too!