Dec 31, 2007

Bye-Bye 2007

It is so cold today this block of ice will not even attempt to melt-notice even the pieces my daughter tried to chip off...no puddles there either....it's been there out of Nugget's outdoor water source for that last couple of days.
My head feels the same way- I've had an awful cold for 10 days (who's counting?) my ears are so stuffed I can barely hear and the drops from the Dr. really don't help anything.....
Enough about that-I'm sick of being sick- Before the year ends I wanted to share with you that I have joined No More Hum-Drum Mittens 2 !!
It's a perfect opportunity for me to continue with my knitting skills and will come in handy because before the break I found out how important it is to have the perfect gloves! Pre-inspecting a school bus at 6:30am in 10 degrees with wind proved that my suede working gloves were great although cumbersome for our hand-held Zonar Inspection Device, but then for driving for the first hour I needed something a little lighter. I have some finger type gloves, but they proved to keep my individual fingers cold and since my hands are larger than the 'woman' size with long fingers the gloves are either too short or I bust through the tips. (gone through two like that already!) I thought MITTENS would be the answer! I have to post the questionnaire from the swap below, so for the interested party please to continue to read below!
If you want to overlook the below, I will now take this opportunity to wish everyone a great and safe New Year and whether you are ready or not....2008 will be here tomorrow!! :)) It's been a great year for us and went remarkably fast...of course, with the move from CA to CO in Feb, getting into our house, embarking on a new job venture...it's just been a great 2007!
No-More-Humdrum-Mittens 2

How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I taught myself to knit winter of age 9…I made a Santa and a snowman stuffed figures.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Intermediate...though there are projects I’ve never made.
What are your favorite colors? Any you dislike?
Warm natural colors…I like greens, plums, and orange colors. I’m not into the bright primary colors.
Do you like Latvian type patterns? If so, what are your favorite patterns?
I’ve never made a Latvian pattern…so definitely a newbie, but willing to try!
Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
Myself ;) they would definitely be used in the early morning hours with my school bus!
What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?
9” (comfortably where I like gloves to be) 81/2” to fit
What is the circumference of your hand at it's widest point?
8 ½” (I usually buy men’s large gloves to fit comfortably)
What other things do you enjoy knitting?
Hats, scarves, dishcloths, stuffed things…I made one sweater about 18 years ago and didn’t like it and haven’t revisited the thought…..though I think I should with such beautiful patterns and inspiration out there!
What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
Depends on the project. I do like everything except plastic needles…guess aluminum would be my fav
What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
Lace! I thread crochet, but never have knitted lace.
What's one yarn you want to work with that you never have?
One?Lace weight, bamboo yarn, silk ;), soy, yak, camel, corn….nothing in particular anything different.
What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
Read classics, collect craft books, quilt, crochet, alter books, art journals, stamp once in a while, I want to learn to watercolor well, & I drive a safe school bus (it’s more than a job)!
Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
Books, books, bo..oh, I think I said that… ;)
What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?
No allergies, not into crunchy or salty…. But chocolate & coffee always works best ;)
Do you have any kids? Pets?
Have two kids (girl 15 & boy 11) and a Golden Retriever named ‘Nugget’ and my son has a dwarf hamster named ‘JoJo’
What's your favorite part of winter?
Snow and cozy days curled up under a blanket and the thought of possibility finishing projects ;}
What is your least favorite part of Winter?
When I don’t see the sun.

4 comments:

Lilli said...

Happy 2008 Paula! Good luck with those mittens :)

Rebekah said...

I hope you feel better soon. And it was nice reading your meme to learn more about you!

LeenaM said...

Greetings from the eastern part of Finland and thank you for your kind comments on my pages!
I was also about nine, when I started knitting and crocheting,my older daughter was same age, but younger daughter never wanted to learn it :)
now I have many boxes full of yarns waiting for knitting, but photography and blogging take too much time.
Fortunately I got a new granddaughter and baby`s clothes are so wonderful and small :)

I wish you and your family happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm your secret pal for the mitten swap. Sounds like you REALLY need warm mittens. I'll enjoy getting to know you a bit through your blog.