Nov 18, 2007

Seems Like a Long Time

Time for a road trip...this time it was a trip by myself. I drove my school bus route in the morning Friday before last and then went home grabbed my bags and off I drove. ALONE. Kids were in school..for this was the first time they would be home alone overnight! The freedom in this was amazing. I've reached that stepping stone in life where my kids are old enough. No more babies you know? ANYWAY, off I escaped. Lets face it...at times no matter how dedicated you are as a mother...you wished you could just drive off! THIS was my first time doing so....of course, everyone was okay about it and each looked forward to their time alone. So OFF I WENT! I felt guilty leaving my school bus kids to the mercy of a substitute, but I knew they would be okay, too! This was a half-day 'personal day'.


So, like I said, off I went the back way to Breckenridge, CO. I put Yanni CD (#2 & 4 esp.) in and enjoyed the curves and the views. There was hardly anyone on the roads. I suppose some women might fret being alone in the mountains...."what if"... but I was at peace...this is bliss for me these mountains are where I am at home. I stopped about four times on various mountain passes... This one almost brought tears to my eyes....I got out and after a few seconds of the engine 'ticking' while cooling- I heard SILENCE. Silence can be so loud. Then a hawk called. I swear he was talking to me! I do have to add.....there is suppose to be A LOT more snow on 'them there mountains' -let's hope for some precipitation for our water table! Above is the Mosquito Range.

This library is in Fairplay, CO...one day I will have to explore inside! The South Park museum is awesome! Also, they have Burro Days! I paused for my Subway lunch at the top :)
The North side descent.





Don't you just love signs like that?



Anyway....the reason why I was going here alone? My husband was already there for a Colorado Recruiter conference! excuse the room mess, but we did get a chance to dress up ;)

last week...I was just so busy with school conferences, Fall programs, enjoyed a Hello Dolly show at the high-school (VERY GOOD), various training during the midday, and of course the washing of my bus and two excursions. I was just able to do the bare minimum- I really missed reading my favorite blogs. I'm going to try to catch up today. As promised:

PUMPKIN BREAD
1 3/4 c. Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. veg. oil
2 eggs
1/3 c. water
8 oz. pumpkin
1 c raisins (opt.)
Mix until smooth. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or 25 minutes for muffins.

10 comments:

Sonia said...

Love your road trip, Paula! Beautiful views! That library looks so inviting! Sounds you had a great time!

You and your husband are so beautiful and elegant!

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog! I always love when I see your name on comments!

Tracy said...

I know you had a wonderful trip, I always love pics of CO. Also Love the one of you and L. J liked his medals, held up computer to look:) Take care.

Sue said...

Great trip and views, and you and your husband look so spiffy. Isn't it fun to dress up (once in a while...).

And thanks for the pumpkin muffin recipe!

Susan said...

As I was reading along, I was wondering where you were going, especially as it didn't seem that you were turning around to head back home. But it all makes sense now. I hope you two had a lovely time together!

Cathy said...

Nice! Isn't it amazing to be able to leave the kids alone?

The photo of you and L didn't come up for me but loved all the other "from home" photos.

Vik said...

I´m happy you could take such a nice day off! And I like the pictures very much.
I love the scarf for your daughter! Pretty!

Rebekah said...

What a lovely trip!

melanie said...

I love youre photos and the recipe

Sonia said...

A Very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Big hug!

mistymawn said...

it looks like a beautiful drive and that you did it alone is even more beautiful...it's good to have company, but sometimes doing things alone feels so liberating, doesn't it?! take care.