Feb 6, 2007

IN ROUTE..more ways than one















Two simple words- "In Route" says the airplane website from London to San Franciso... those two little words just make my heart skip this morning! Seems backwards, but I can't help but think about the 'Airplane' song...you know the one. "...don't know when I'll be back again..." Let's just say he won't be back to that area of the world. Amazing how much clarity I have this morning. THEN ...I see Nuggets hair here! Thanks, C- that just really made my morning! I have to say this ALL is very different than waiting for a ship to return home. (which his ship will be returning home in mid-March) Waiting for a ship is slow, bitter-sweet, and actually completes the circle properly. I feel like this airplane thing is cheating...instant gratification. Of course, the hours between now and this afternoon can do one of two things: go at a snails pace or fly by like a blur. My choice is to be able to slowly reflect and soak in the significance, the scope of it all, the deeper meaning...

The forced smiles we made on the day he left (above), the thought of 400+ people and their families going through the same thing regardless of rank (it's a human connection...'all in the same boat' feeling-as shown, as they stand at parade rest as the ships slowly backs off the pier), the comradeship (DH on far left) at a 'steel beach picnic' in the middle of the sea, the awesome refueling at sea (really puts things in perspective-my DH's ship is on the left- isn't it sooo cute?) All this is the backbone of the US Navy-what many civilians don't realize, regardless of what is going on in politics...these scheduled deployments go on as they do.

It's been a time for us...it's been good to us...it's hard on us....it's been the most unselfish thing a family could do...it's strengthened us...to give to something larger than yourself...I fear that may be lacking in our world today. As we come to the end of this ship time, as my DH is IN ROUTE I reflect on all this.

As I will hibernate with my husband for a few short days, our stuff will be packed next week ...I will say goodbye for now. My husband has a lap-top and we will have internet access from where we will be staying, but attention will be drawn to our happy house hunt. So until I meet up with you all again, I will leave you with my husband's infamous saying - (he just kills people esp. in the Navy with this, but he lives it and breathes it...and believes it) one salty Chief I would say, eh?

SAILORS BELONG ON SHIPS- SHIPS BELONG ON SEA-
LAND IS A HAZARD TO NAVIGATION

6 comments:

Lilli said...

Have a fabulous family time these next few days. You'll probably have a hard time believing that it's real, but how wonderful it will be.....from now on :)

Rebekah said...

Just a few more hours and he'll b ehome. How exciting! Happy house hunting!

vanessa said...

oh pj!!! i have a bog ole sh*t-eaten grin on my face for you!!!!!!!!!!!

PJ said...

NOTE TO SELF: there is something called- SPELLING! HA!! ..Too excited to care! The other word that is even better-"ARRIVED"...just the last leg from SF to SD :)
1hr & 1/2 left...tick, tock, tick, tock

Kali said...

Oh PJ, how wonderful!
I will be thinking of you all and wish you and your family all the best for this happy time :)

carolyn said...

Instant gratification sounds good to me!