Jan 15, 2007

Vision



Today we celebrate what a special American fought for during those hard times, not too long ago in our past, in this country. It's a federal holiday. If my husband was home, and didn't have duty, we would definitely take time to try to watch something on T.V. about his life. My husband's MLK day has come and gone as he is a day ahead of us. Full steam ahead- there was no 'down' time to reflect. I'm sure something was said in the POD (Plan Of the Day) at quarters- being that my husband is the head of the division, I'm sure he made some remarks. After all, it wasn't until 1944 on the USS Mason, when an all black crew with white officers were able to serve together and in 1946 all restrictions had been abolished on the types of assignments available to blacks in the U.S. Navy. A little black naval history for you, but later this American Martin Luther King, Jr., with a vision, encouraged some bold moves- that we mustn't forget.

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now- Martin Luther King, Jr.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

What a great quote by Martin Luther King, Jr.! I hope your hubby was able to address this day with the others in the quarters.

I always thought it was celebrated the same day every year...I know there have been years in the past when my birthday fell on this day (it's the 20th), so I guess that is what made me think it...

dkmca2003 said...

Thanks for the lovely post. What a true blessing this country was given in having a leader like Dr. King. We'd hoped to make one of the parades here in Houston but health issues prevented it. The TV coverage was nice, but I'd liked to have seen more of a focus for the day.

I heard on the news last night that the average school student doesn't even know when Doctor King lived or how he died. We need to try harder. You are always so wonderful to help bring me back in focus on days like this!
Love,
Donna

Deana said...

Great post and I love the quote...so true. I can only imagine what a man of his intelligence would think of the split in America now...all our political problems. Today he could be president. A great president.

vanessa said...

a friend of mine was in the air force in the 60s. his crew landed at a base in florida, and they wouldn't let his black crew member eat at the mess.

the whole crew walked out. unbelievable.

teabird17 said...

I hadn't realized that it took that long - 1946 - I second Deana's thoughts. Imagine if he were alive today, what a conciliator, what a sharp critic, and what an inspiration he would be.
thank you for this post.