Dec 30, 2006

Winter II


...So, as I'm fighting the blizzard, a plow went by-causing complete panic for 5 seconds not to be able to see the road. Then minutes later, the plow heads back- hey, a hint that he had turned around at the Colorado border. Finally, at the intersection at Antonito, CO stopping was a joke-complete ice. The one and only motel was flashing 'NO VACANCY'. (of course-snowstorm and it was 8pm) So I call my folks from a gas station. My Dad insists to travel about 45 miles to meet me. That was the longest almost two hours ever. Although, it's amazing how warm a vehicle stays with three people and a large dog...periodically turning the engine heat on! Nugget was a tropper. We feed her in the Blazer and stepped out in about 5-6" snow (her first ever) to let her do her business. At this point my Dad in his old beat up 4x4 pickup arrives! I had a moment in his arms. My nerves were shattered after such a night. My 17 years of being that strong Navy wife- being able to take care of everything and anything..mostly alone- melted as the huge flakes continued to fall to Earth. Nature made me humble once more.
What was my Dad to do? I don't know, but the next 20 miles or so to Alamosa was even more dangerous! See, the storm had ceased as we headed further north-there was no snow-pack or fresh snow- just pure glassy ice. To have my Dad behind me gave me strength to continue to Alamosa, CO. If I got in trouble he could help. I avoided looking in my mirrors back at him, for the glare off the ice was so scary. As we approached the town there was a vehicle flipped off the road and the driver being loaded in the ambulance. The patrolman signaled for me to stop with his flashlight. That was not going to happen. I quickly though to change my automatic gear from 2 to 1- that worked. Iceskating with a vehicle just drops your stomach. Time now? 11pm. By the time we got to Alamosa, I pulled over and told my Dad that was it. To continue home (another 20 miles, 10 miles up a mountain dirt road (to 9200ft.) and try to unpack up their impossible driveway was just crazy to do around midnight. I had been driving since Benson, AZ- I could tell I was drifting even in these conditions. We checked into a motel and around midnight after hot showers, the kids and I literally fell into our beds....

6 comments:

Deana said...

OMG you poor thing! I would have been terrified. Sounds like Nugget wasn't the only trooper, you guys were too!

Well one thing is for sure, you will never forget the Christmas season of 2006!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Cathy said...

Whoa. And I know that road. I am staying tuned for the rest of the story. Oh, and Happy New Year!

Lilli said...

God, how terrifying! How puny we feel when we are thrust up against Nature's huge power. I hope you're able to get lots of rest real soon, and that the rest of the trip goes without event.

Donna said...

This is just awful. You were so brave and so were your kids and your dad!

Lorette said...

Glad you're safe and sound! That's one Christmas drive you'll probably never forget. Have a happy New Year!

Rebekah said...

Argh! I lost your e-mail, could you please e-mail me at basilbirdy@hotmail.com with it.

I was trying to respond to your comment and my stupid new e-mail took away all my names, so I can't identify everyone's e-mail addresses anymore. Thanks.