Dec 29, 2006

White Winter


Driving north on hwy285 through Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado was one of my scariest nights. Travel in my blazer (non 4x4) was slow at 30 mph. Ice building up on the windshield wipers- 30 miles, 40 miles, 53 miles. Slow & steady was the motto as the snow quickly accumulated. A trucker would pass. I would follow its tire imprints for about 5 minutes until it would disappear. The huge flakes coming down quick against the black velvet sky. Would I make it? A hill would come- the only way I knew this was by the pressure on the gas pedal to maintain 30 mph for there were no reference points. Oh, except the small metal poles with reflectors on the edge of the 'road'. Any oncoming signs were covered by blowing snow. Yes, the side of a vertical sign- covered. I would check my gas tank 3/4 tank full- Thank God. There was no stopping depending on the incline (much less any where too stop) that might meant there would be no traction to take back off. Slow & steady. As long as I could peer through my ever closing icy windshield at the reflective road markers I knew I was still, at least, on the road I thought. At least it was turning out to be a white Christmas. By the silence of my kids, I knew I wasn't the only one with doubts of making it to our destination....

3 comments:

Lilli said...

Yikes! Very scario !

Donna said...

Oh, no! I didn't realize you were driving. It sounds like a really scary night. Are you back home now? I've missed you.

Cathy said...

Gosh... I am glad you made it okay. Hope you enjoyed Christmas with your family.