Jun 26, 2014

Love Housekeeping

I don't want to sound like a public service announcement or anything, but take some time to consider this ( I got this from the NFPA- National Fire Protection Association:
  • In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries and $236 million in direct property damage.
  • Clothes dryers accounted for 92% of the fires; washing machines 4%, and washer and dryer combinations accounted for 4%.
  • The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires was failure to clean (32%), followed by unclassified mechanical failure or malfunction (22%). Eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction.
SO, as I am settling in...I clean everything. Every nook and cranny will be touched by me. Now, don't get me wrong..this place was extremely clean!!!!  .....but 16, 000 report fires due to washer/dryer area??
 So, I heard you can take the top of the dryer OFF!

 This didn't show alllll the dust bunnies, but it wasn't bad as I thought it would be inside.
 Underneath was a different story!!!
 I also took the vent off to the outside and completely dusted out...again, it wasn't bad. Always, have a 'metal' one not a plastic one!
 Then, under the water heater area!   BLAH....EWWW....do NOT know why there was used fabric sheets under there!  (not in same room! It's in the hall leading to laundry room) 
 This is a GAS water heater....completely UNSATISFACTORY!
 It's plywood surrounding the drain...it's wet because I cleaned it out.

Not perfect, but MUCH better!!   AWWWWW....feeling safer :) 
Footnote to this is that I still need to go from the outside of the house to the opening of the tubing-seems to be only about 6-10" from outside to in on the ground level-- should be very easy!

1 comment:

Zippi Kit said...

I have put this on my list of things to get done - pronto, like tomorrow. Mr.Z said he cleaned the duct up to the roof two years ago and it was pretty clean. Whew, but he's going to check it again.

Congratulations on getting your new habitat up to snuff!