Oct 27, 2013

~*~ For Mom ~*~

 It was the most beautiful, crisp, bright, warm Fall day at my parents house!
 My Dad and I took a short walk while Mom slept....
 We started the ascent up my Dad's path...
 Nugget enjoyed the walk...Many deer and elk enjoy his paths through the wood as well! They come down out of the forest daily to the lake below for water
 The cabin seen through the woods. The brightness of the Fall day really struck me. Mom would have loved this fall day, but we knew it wasn't much longer. She had been in bed full time now since the week before as well as not eating. All she wanted to do was sleep. It was very painful to move her...yet at times she said 'no' when we asked are you in pain...ready with the morphine.

On the walk my father said that afternoon he would like to go back out and cut wood. I was glad to stay in the cabin with Mom.  But then around 1pm the wind suddenly changed! My first SNOW of the season started! I had come out of my bedroom/bathroom and I heard mom noisily calling out 'help me'...that was a saying that was said quite frequently through the past six months, so it was not odd....other than she had not really been talking for a number of days. Almost in a dementia way over and over, for when asked if she was in pain, the answer most of the time was 'no'. I told Dad right before he was to go out...  we both went to my Mom's side.They always say there is a clarity that occurs. 
 Indeed it did that afternoon.  

We remained in and out of the room...both at different times. The wind was remarkable. It literally started howling! I couldn't help to think about the drastic difference from the morning to the evening. Almost as if...coming in to....I blocked that thought, but perhaps my heart knew.  We were waiting for family members, but somehow I knew. My Mom loved Fall. She loved the leaves...she would have liked if I took her 'on a ride' through the Forbes Park...she loved writing down the 'first snow' in her calendar...I pondered it all that day.

 At approximately 1am October 11th....Mom passed away at the home and land she loved. 
I took this picture above around 6am ....
...it was perfectly still outside as the clouds opened up.



Good bye, Mom ...We love you....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

7 comments:

Elaine Normandy said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Chery said...

I'm sorry. Hugs.

Lorette said...

It sounds like you were blessed with some special time with your mom. I am very sorry for your loss.

Debby Allison said...

You did a great job on the tribute to your mom. She would have liked it very much. Your brother liked it also. Take care, Debby

Cathy said...

Oh, PJ... what a wonderful post for your mom. I'm sorry she didn't have more falls in that lovely cabin.

Hugs!!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Oh my dear Paula,
I am so very sorry for your loss...
I have tears in my eyes reading your moving tribute to your dear Mom. So lovely photo of her.
My profound condolences to you, your Dad and all the family.
Many hugs and much Love,
Sonia.

Sue said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hang in there.