Mar 10, 2011

Cowl for the Cold

[WARNING: don't fall off your chair- I actually finished a knitted project!!]

What is a 'cowl'? When I had a moment in the bus lounge, I would knit on this cowl. Some people knew exactly what it was...many did not. A cowl is what a monk wears, but in the knitting world it's usually not hooded. 
HA! 'the bus lounge'- that could be a subject by itself for a post!  ;)
I have a secret...I'm not really a fan of variegated yarn. Don't get me wrong, I like the varied colors, but sometimes when you knit/crochet it up...it just looks...untidy to me.  I enjoyed this one, though! 
Only the 'ribbed' edges looked messy to me.
I work in Falcon, CO just west of Colorado Springs. My tasks in the morning (5:30am) is to pre-trip a couple of district vans and, of course, my bus.  'Pre-trip' is the extensive inspection we are required to preform by the Dept. of Transportation for commercial vehicles. Majority of the time it is cold. Now there are different 'colds'. Cold is not 25 degrees... believe it or not! My cold is 12 degrees or below that... now one factor that is huge is the WIND. Now 'wind' in Falcon is like a cold fan that someone turns on! 20-30 mph is kind of the norm! When Brandon, the weather man, says it's 'breezy' that is what he means! Now, when he says it's going to be 'windy' that means gusts of 40-50 mph.....   guess it's ALL perceptive! 

Anyways, the cowl is something I've always wanted to make for  myself! I don't know why it took me so long....I did add a black elastic with lock that adjusts. The blue in the variegated yarn reminds me of Colorado blue sky's, the 'rusts'  are of the mountains and ground, and 'black' is the highway I drive!

{monkey was pleased}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are cute!! the cowl turned out nicely:) Oh and I did fall off of said chair!!LOL!! Love ya! Tracy

Sandra said...

Hi! Your cowl turned out wonderful! I've been wanting to make one since a while ago, I think they are more comfortable to wear than scarves.

It was very clever to use the adjustable cord to make it fit. You are creative for sure!

BTW Thanks for visiting my blog.

Hugs from Venezuela!

Cathy said...

Love the cowl and I feel the same way about some variegated yarns.

zippiknits said...

The colors are also the colors in a barn swallow. Well, the blue isn't quite as INTENSE as a barn swallow's blue.

Gad it that EVER cold!!! Brrrr!