Dec 12, 2010

Books of Many Kinds

I have kept journals for as long as I can remember. It started when I was nine years old. You know the type, the one with the lock and a tiny key. I would talk about school and how my best friend would copy me and OH, how it frustrated me...and whether the CHiPs TV show was good that day.....

It again started after I got out of the Navy.
We began a family...for many years I was a stay-at-home mom... the most noble and hardest thing to do. Let's face it, in many respects...it's easier to work! But to do the everyday routines...that's hard, that's lonely..oh, and add in there- ship deployments, various times finishing up a degree, being pregnant with second child, taking care of the house, etc.....blah, blah, blah....not glamorous.
Recently, after my first born spread her wings and flew from the nest, another Naval situational circumstance (I just made that up!..I like that) with my husband, and now a time where my son and I are together... I've been REFLECTING.
I pulled out all my journals and began reading them like books!! wow, I mean, WOW! The good, the bad, and the ugly....I'm not going to sugar coat, I have a right to feel the years! Maybe I should write a book! I do know this, I'm not unique, women have been doing this for years. I can't lie, at times I have those sinful martyr feelings, but as I'm getting older, it's giving me a powerful strength. After I see what I have 'worked' so hard for....blossom... in both my son and daughter! The PEOPLE they are becoming! It's hard to believe that 20 years is represented above! I have to cringe when I here the new mothers of today talk about 'me time'. Hey, we all need it, but I mean the ones that 'get away' when the kids need you the most.
I am coming up on my 'me time'!!!

SO, while my son was snowboarding for the first time yesterday at Keystone -very successful-came home with all body parts in one piece ;) ...on my 'ME TIME' I went to my local used book store! .....but guess what? I only bought MYSELF one book... one for my dad, a gift for someone who may be reading, and various books for my school bus! ;)
It was a lonely day...I need to get the hang of this... 'me time.'




1 comment:

Cathy said...

I kept diaries and journals from elementary school as well. I now wish they were more comprehensive - especially when my son was an infant.

Remembering those days makes me wonder what I am forgetting to look at now.