Jul 26, 2009

Vulpes

(all photos click-able!)
Remember I posted about a mother with two red kits and one black one this past spring? Well, they have lived under the middle school's modular this summer. THIS MORNING I HAD A TREAT!
They were all out playing!

Five of them! Looking through binoculars....I'm not sure, but I am guessing the two lying down are adults...and the other three are young. Reading about them- they say the young leave the parent around 7 months.




They all were playing...the one standing up was about to shake. Lots of red (and black) blur rolling around in the grass....sudden attention on bugs- a very graceful leaping in the air at the spot. I was so thrilled to be able to watch this! PRICELESS!

A cute black leg in the air. The black one circling like a referee.

(I couldn't help but think the Gingerbread Man wouldn't have had a chance! ha-ha)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulpes_vulpes (10% of the wild population is black!)
I FEEL SO LUCKY TO HAVE WITNESSED SUCH A SIGHT THIS MORNING!!



6 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wow! Great! What such amazing pictures!

Cathy said...

Lovely photos - it's so much fun to see foxes and their kits. Altho we have many foxes here, I have yet to see a black one.

MarĂ­a Elena said...

Impressive pictures! Never I seen a black fox.
Hugs.

zippiknits said...

I've never seen a black fox, either - not in native foxes. What a treat! Wow! Those are great pictures, and it must have been fun to watch! I love to watch kits play.

Jeanne said...

My husband would have been in heaven seeing this many foxes. Wow! What a treat for you. Great photos. BTW, loved your post about your trip to Washington, DC. What a wonderful time you had in the nation's capital.
xo
jeanne

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful! How beautiful they looked.That is so neat you are able to see them so close. Thank you for sharing them with us.
L-Tracy