Mar 13, 2009

Need of Break

Is it Spring Break yet? Frustrations with a small population on the bus. Guess we have lost our minds- water bottle jerked around to get everyone wet, broken pencils/pens/paper thrown at people among other things. Here's the thing...when a kid admits something, subMITS ...owns up to it or even says sorry to me the next day...boy, my referral forms go out the window-disappear-- drop subject-POOF I'm very easy in this regard!.... (I'm talking high school and middle school here) BUT when children want to think they are high and mighty and expect explanations ('you should have talked to me before calling home..') ... 'my parents aren't even mad at me' 'I'm not the only one' (of course, a child doesn't know what I've done with others because of privacy issues...) I really could go on and on..

oh, really? well, excuse me. This is when it gets tough for me. Basically it comes down to this-which I lay it down for them- the safety of this bus isn't going to be threatened because of your distraction- if it's distracting to me then that is it. I might as well be speaking Greek because their distinction between adult and child are blurred they don't hear a thing I'm saying.
I'm not old....heck, I'm not even 40 yet...but I've raised my own kids (highschool and middle school) with the idea adults are to be respected..being a child -you have your place- sure, kind of 'old school' nowadays. Now, don't get me wrong...MANY on the bus have been raised like that as well- you can clearly see the difference. Many say 'thank you'...many acknowledge you...many smile easily...
One day my son shared with me, 'I don't know why, but all my teachers like me' I had to explain some things that I experience....that I'm sure is no different in the classroom. There are some kids that smile easily, that listen, that are respectful, that are EASY to interact with...then there are some that, for whatever reason, are stiff, are lacking 'getting along' skills, that view an adult as someone to be at odds with, there are even some that can't even accept a compliment or accept friendliness, or some that feel privileged!
It's sad. Sure, coming into this I thought I could make subtle changes in some...but really this year I'm realizing you can't. There just there to annoy everyone. When other kids are annoyed by certain behaviors of others, it's hard to be neutral when I agree! In this day and age- majority does not rule. In our support systems of 'behaviour medicine' 'anger mgmt' 'rights'...I'm being a little over dramatic, but once I saw a political cartoon that showed the support of today's child- a teacher, a parole officer, a judge, a principal and a figure in the middle that was missing with a question mark over it- 'parent'
THIS is why there are spring breaks!!! 5 and 1/2 school days until..... (this happened last year, too)

3 comments:

carolyn said...

I have friends that teach and they reckon they would have nervous breakdowns if it wasn't for the holidays!

Lilli said...

Sorry you had a bad day. You'll feel better tomorrow

Kids are weird. I'm sure I was never one :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

I can understand you so well... my daughter teachs in University and there (believe me) she has nervous some times...